Setting up Lumber Database for Sister
Okay, got it set up preliminarily:
That’s the new subdomain, designed with the keywords, and the WP page will be:
Let’s talk about the latter for the moment:
– tell me what wording you want, such as what to replace “old reports” with
– I can remove the Polls on the left hand side, or you can replace them with your own poll(s). Let me know the details/questions.
– essentially anything can be put on the left and right sides, such as your logo/pic/link/flash etc. This will appear on all the pages that are created.
– the title of the first page I uploaded (the Word files I sent you, cleaned version) is drawn from common keywords found in the text. I use software to show me the most frequently used keywords, then I pick out some and use them for the Title, Description and Keywords. If you click on the title it will take you to the permanent page, and you can see that the address of the page uses the date and keywords of the title. This maximises the keyword effect. Otherwise, the main entry page (http://lumberdatabasedirectory.kenax.net/WP/) works like a blog roll, always displaying the last added articles.
– the links on the left obviously need to be changed. Let me know what you want me to link to.
– the linkouts from within the text also need to be changed. For now I’m using those from my site that I showed you, simply because I copied that WP to here. The format of these links should be like:
or as explained in the instructions:
Here you can enter manually the extra keywords you want to automaticaly link. Use comma to seperate keywords and add target url at the end. Use a new line for new url and set of keywords. You can have these keywords link to any url, not only your site.
vladimir prelovac, http://www.prelovac.com/vladimir
cars, car, autos, auto, http://mycarblog.com/
So you can see that you can also use phrases. Therefore, if you have an important page about shingles, then you would want to point to it every time “shingle” or “shingles” is mentioned (or other related words or phrases, always separated by a comma).
– the calendar doesn’t have to be there and I just added it for pretty effect. You can put pictures or whatever you want in these strips, possibly colour the background as you have on your pages, or perhaps you could find your own plugins you want to try
– the pictures at the top header are automatically rotating, but if you prefer we could probably remove all of them and replace them with only one – the header you have on your main pages. But personally I think the variety makes things more interesting.
– what do you want for the Category names? For now I created Report 01 and I think there should be a maximum of lets say 20 pages added per category. This all depends on how much text you have to add. Do you have more than 350,000 words you can think of adding? For example, if only this 350,000 and you don’t want to add your old emails, for example, since each post/article is about 2,000 words, that makes a total of 175 articles. If we have a total of 10 categories it would make it less than 20 (17.5) articles per category. This means there would eventually be 10 category links on each page, plus whatever number of links we decide on in the left hand side, plus the links out from within the text. You don’t want too many linkouts from each page, which is why I like to shoot for a total of ten categories. But if you find more text in the future, we could add the number of articles per category (I’m shooting for 40 for mine, because I’ve got a shitload of text).
– below is Views, which shows the number of views per each page. Probably bullshit but the good thing is that this is dynamic and always changing, so it will make every page change over time and appear fresh and sexy in the eyes of google.
Okay, so the basics are set up and now we need to:
– convert the PDF files to clean Word files so that I can upload them as new articles
– work on the main index page (http://lumberdatabasedirectory.kenax.net/). What do you want to do with the text and pictures you sent me before all the pdfs? You want to use that for the main entry page? Perhaps at the bottom or something, but the top should introduce the database and what its all about (demo version, if they want to see the full version they need to write to you etc.). You want to write that or should I? This first page should be real juicy with all the important keywords, so once the top introduction part of the page is written, you can flood the rest of the page with keyword blabbery. Up to around 2,500 words would be good. Once that is set up I’ll move the demodbase there or at least link to it and then we can publish the page and see how long it takes to start getting hits etc.
Okay, then I suggest you download the software: PDF Transformer from Adobe or Abby or something. Get the PC version in case there is a MAC version, so that the licence will work. I pretty sure you have a certain number of free trials, so once you succeed with a few pages I can send you activation code. For this type of text I’d suggest deselecting pictures and choose text flow. Then make sure the language is English and that’s it. Perhaps the fastest approach is to right click on the file and choose Custom Transform. Once you got the settings right then press the Create Word file button on the top right.
Sure, every Monday or whatever. Just think how much text you have (do you have more than this?) and how long you spread it out. If you start saving keyword rich emails or something then we can continue with that once this text runs out. Or create a separate category for Previous Correspondence or something. If you add some pages every week forever, google will only like it.
I’d suggest we set up the structure first and leave the first page I uploaded. Wait till google indexes it (which will be pretty quick), and then start adding the other pages to keep it sexy.
From what I quickly read from your other letters you said you would focus on the first page? You could probably easily go to 4,000 words if you like. Each page will point to the main entry page and you should as well (if people visiting your site want to see a demo version etc.), so everything will be well supported. I’ll help you tweak it too. Within a year I guess you’ll be stomping all over the internet. Then there is other important work that can be done but we can discuss that later. I think if we divide up the tasks like this it will be good, since we can both benefit. Lookin good!
Once we set up this structure I would only have to copy/paste from the Word files into WP and everything else would be automatic. Since there would be about 150 pages I could upload maybe 3 every time the site gets indexed, which is about once every two or three days, so it would take roughly half a year to upload it all. Or I could upload more pages each time and speed up the process. I’m not certain which is better, but my guess is that its more organic to spread it out, as google will see it as a site which continually gets updated with new articles. Just a guess.
I see you got Ward’s editorial in there too, that’s good. No wonder the word count was so high!
I can for sure do that grunty work on my PC once you send me the software. I guess I could feed you several issues at a time or something? If you want to upload three at at time I can make sure I have always sent you enough to keep you going, like if I send them to you in blocks of say 25 you’d have a week’s worth to do.
I could make this a weekend job, or Monday mornings when I’m usually not that busy.
> Did I already send you the PDF Transformer software?
Nope, you didn’t.